Sunday 30 August 2009

Day 2 - Cols


Col d'Aubisque
Originally uploaded by M.J.S.
I get up and regain my bike from the washroom. My kit stinks. The friendly bar is shut, but I spot a man with a baguette under his arm, so head to find a little bar serving excellent coffee and pastries for breakfast. There is a wakening chill in the air, blue sky, and the streets are cobbled. The road must have only reached here in the last few decades.

Then it's time for the rendez-vous, and the van, with P & G is there. I buy them a coffee; the least I could do. We drop off the rubbish and chat about Spain and the ride the day before. Then, time to drive back. I realise my legs are glad of the lack of climbing.

The sky is a brilliant blue, and the mountains rise up to each side. I discover the route I should have gone - not through the village, but back up. It was a detour for a putative drink. We begin to climb a precarious rode. I realise what I have missed, and am rather grateful - and also grateful for the long drive P & G have done for me. A smoking worker tells me that the road is closed. We don't speak Spanish (although G. could), and say we will turn around. It is a 3 hour detour. We keep going and press on. I will pretend to have a damaged arm. At the top, about 1400m up, a van blocks the road, but we get past.

Then the long descent into the clouds and France. The sun doesn't appear again.

A quick breakfast, puzzled looks and smiles from the rest of the Team, who head off when we arrive. Then, back on the bike, and we ride down the valley.

Marie-Blanque is damp, and steep, and wooded. It is about 10-13% for 3k at the top, and I just stare down at the tarmac wishing it would stop. We wait for everyone at the top, then a lovely descent through a bucolic, almost Swiss valley. Lunch, then the climb of the Aubisque. I take is slow to the first town. Then realise that the pace is okay, and go up a gear. Finally, I pop out above the clouds by the last village, and stop to put on some sun cream. A final 30-40 minutes, and I'm at the top, watching P. climb up behind me.

The group is still ahead, and we take the cornice route, with a nasty little climb, before descending together down to the bike shop at the foot of the valley. I now realise this is close to where I walked and climbed in 2007. The final 15k? along the gorge to Luz Saint Saveur feels a bit of a slog. Luz reminds me of Cauterets.

We are remembered at the hotel. Some beers, and a good pasta meal nearby. I shower for the first time in days, and try and wash out some of my kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment