Sunday 30 August 2009

Day 4 -


Team Bike fuji 2009 (80 of 96)
Originally uploaded by M.J.S.
A long run along the valley and some good early climbs. Shorter, not too steep, and with some sad cycling history.

1 - Portillon - 1320m
2 - Mente - 1349m
3 - Porte D'Aspet - 1069m
4 - De La Core - 1395m
5 - Latrape - 1520m
6 - D'Agnes - 1570m
7 - Port de Lers - 1571m

Will's uncle joins us at Aspet, and we ride on in the early afternoon for de la Core. This starts okay, and I even race around a few corners, taking on Nick and PB. I soon start to flag, but PB is completely blown, and looks like he has some sort of bug. It takes a long time, but eventually reach the top. The climb is in two parts, and the second took a lot of effort in the heat. I couldn't find a rhythm. A descent with SB, and some food in the town. We press on. I know I can't blow energy on keeping up with the fast bunch and drop back, riding the final 15 km with Nick. We both worry about what is to come. It get colder. Nick sets off, I head off after him, but soon I am alone in the steep valley, in the cloud and the rain. After 45 mins I get passed, but am pleased to see humans. I think of the bears in the woods. At last, I reach the top. Tired, but not blown - but some way behind. It is getting cold, so I don't want to hold people up. I get into the van, and ascend the next 200 m Col, passing tired looking pairs of the team.

I wrap up to descend. The mountain looks like British peaks, with the remains of a glacier. Red rapha softshell and the liberty silk tie to keep out the wind. I settle behind a van on the way down, singing Oh My Sweet Carolina to the small town and charming, but tiny and old, hotel at the foot of the valley. I ride my bike into the courtyard under the vines, and order two demis.

A meal of pasta and cheese, porc and a glass of wine. Most of the rooms are doubles, and there are two showers in the hotel. Two old Audaxers arrive.

A strange night - my legs are tired but okay, but my chest and through feel as though they have been working. My heart races.

No comments:

Post a Comment