Sunday 30 August 2009

Day 3 - Tourmalet


Team Bike Mobile (5 of 10)
Originally uploaded by M.J.S.
Today is the day where I realise that I have long way to go. Despite thinking I'd put in a fair bit of training, the reality was that I'd barely scratched the surface. You can't start doing exercise at 35 and think in half a year you'll be as good or able to be in the same bunch as people who've been doing this for years, or can't remember Margaret Thatcher.

Tourmalet (2115 metres) gives a lot of time for thinking.

So, I start steady, with about 4 others. They soon go ahead, about 1-2 kmh faster than me, and I stop by the van to ride up with G. After a bit, I realise that this isn't going to work, and go ahead. The climb is long, but mostly steady after the first half. I even start to enjoy it, and keep getting higher. But I keep it steady. Then, after riding past the remains of Tour lettering, I'm at the top, among the paraphernalia of cycling past. I also get out my DSLR, and stupidly leave the ISO on 1250 for the rest of the trip.

The descent is less fun - no cows like the Aubisque, but a thick thick mist, and no-one has brought lights. A Frenchman in the next town points this out to us.

The the Aspet, which I decide to ride a bit faster. I begin to grind to a halt half way up. A long curving descent, that is quite windy into Arreau. The van is clipped on the wing mirror.

About 30 km to the Perysourde. A couple of trains are going. I can't keep up with the first, so get into a slower one. Along the way, I feel a bump on the back. I hadn't braked, but the guy in front slowed down so I dropped down a gear. A clipped wheel, and a man is down. I check that he's alright, but see that others are better placed, so go on, feeling bad.

Again, I'm in the bus. The climb begins. It looks like it might get a little cold. It takes forever. I begin to doubt. I keep going. The final 2 k stretch on, and then it looks like it heads to the right, but no, the crest is upon me, so I manage a little sprint to the top.

The last three arrive, singing Sloop John B. A heroic effort.

Then, down to Luchon. DDL has a bad knee, and stay with me and Tom while the others climb Superbagneres - known as Super-Bag. We get a bigger cassette for Tom's bike. Later, the van arrives, and the team get out, looking like ghosts of men. They didn't descend. It was cold and wet. A meal, and spirits are back.

No comments:

Post a Comment